Research vs study
The confusion about these words is that they can both be either nouns or verbs. If you ask someone, "Does 'studies' mean the same as 'researches'?" you may hear "Yes," but it is only true if they are used as verbs. As nouns, they have subtly different meanings.
"This team has done a lot of good research. I just read their latest study, which they wrote about calcium in germinating soybeans. It described several interesting experiments."
research 1. to perform a systematic investigation
1. "What kind of scientist is he? He's a botanist. He researches plants."
study 1. to perform a systematic investigation; 2. to actively learn or memorize academic material
1. "What kind of scientist is he? He's a botanist. He studies plants."
2. "Mindy studies every day. That is why she gets such excellent grades. She wants to go to college to study math."
Some authors say "research" when they mean "study." "Research," as a verb, means "to perform a study or studies," but "research" as a noun refers to the sum of many studies. "Chemical research" means the sum of all chemical studies. If you find yourself writing "a research" or "in this research," change it to "a study" or "in this study."
research The act of performing research. Also, the results of research. Note that "research" is a mass noun. It is already plural in meaning but grammatically singular. If you want to indicate more than one type, say "bodies of research" or "pieces of research," not "researches."
"Dr. Lee was a prolific scientist. She performed a great deal of research over her long career."
study A single research project or paper.
"Dr. Lee was a prolific scientist. She performed a great many studies over her long career."
The noun "study" refers to a single paper or project. You can replace "paper" with "study" in almost all cases (but not always the other way around), to the point where you can say "I wrote a study." The noun "research" means more like a whole body of research including many individual studies: The research of a field. The lifetime achievements of a scientist or research team.
- 如何调整论文格式- LetPub SCI论文写作系列9 -New
- 什么是期刊杂志的索引（Index）- LetPub SCI论文写作系列8 -New
- 关于选择哪个杂志进行投稿的几点思考- LetPub SCI论文写作系列7 -New
- 如何正确使用基因/蛋白质的名称格式（大写与斜体的使用） - LetPub SCI论文写作系列6 -New
- 如何制作科技论文中的Tables - LetPub SCI论文写作系列5 -New
- 如何制作科技论文中的Figures - LetPub SCI论文写作系列4 -New
- 中国作者英文科技论文中常见语言问题 - LetPub SCI论文写作系列3
- 从开始准备到SCI论文投稿 - LetPub SCI论文写作系列1
- 摘要（Abstract） 部分的写作要点
- Cover Letter写作辅导材料