This is a noun, but it describes an action. "Characterize" is a verb. The act of characterizing something is "characterization."
1) Is the act of describing the characteristics of something (this is the meaning most commonly used in scientific papers)
"This paper describes the characterization of soil samples collected in the recently reforested Seamus Valley."
Literally, this refers to the act of describing the characteristics, but we usually use it to mean the act of determining those characteristics so that they can be described. It is a very fine distinction and the difference usually moot.
2) Such a description.
"We consulted Lee et al.'s characterization of the protein before analyzing it ourselves."
This refers to the product of the characterization process, the description that Lee and posse produced.
"I disagree with your characterization of Reykjavik as a backward and rustic city. I visited it last year and found it very modern."
3) The establishment or representation of a fictional character.
"Many fans did not like the characterization of Superman in the film Superman Returns, preferring the cheerful, stoic version from the comics."
1) (noun) A trait or quality, especially one that specifically makes it possible to identify something or distinguish it from other things.
"We described the particular characteristics of the ginseng root."
2) (adjective) Relating to a trait that distinguishes a person or thing.
"Recognize the zebra by its characteristic stripes."
"Many photographs of Einstein show his characteristic wild hair."
- 如何调整论文格式- LetPub SCI论文写作系列9 -New
- 什么是期刊杂志的索引（Index）- LetPub SCI论文写作系列8 -New
- 关于选择哪个杂志进行投稿的几点思考- LetPub SCI论文写作系列7 -New
- 如何正确使用基因/蛋白质的名称格式（大写与斜体的使用） - LetPub SCI论文写作系列6 -New
- 如何制作科技论文中的Tables - LetPub SCI论文写作系列5 -New
- 如何制作科技论文中的Figures - LetPub SCI论文写作系列4 -New
- 中国作者英文科技论文中常见语言问题 - LetPub SCI论文写作系列3
- 从开始准备到SCI论文投稿 - LetPub SCI论文写作系列1
- 摘要（Abstract） 部分的写作要点
- Cover Letter写作辅导材料